“And being found in human form, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.”
We all (hopefully) know that Jesus came and suffered greatly at the hands of the Jewish Pharisees and Rome. But, do we ever take a moment to realize that this suffering was only the other bookend of His life on earth? Look at what happened when He was born.
- Born to poverty in humble circumstances- Luke 2:7
- Visited only by Shepherds at first- Luke 2:16-17
- Upon greatness recognizing Him, He faced persecution and possible death before the age of three- Matthew 2:2, 16-18
- Being forced to flee to Egypt with His parents- Matthew 2:13-15
- His parents had to live in Nazareth, not their first choice- Matthew 2:19-23
You see, Jesus’ life was capped on both ends with suffering. Could this be why we do not hear much about the middle of His life? Could this be a picture of what our life must be? The sufferings, the pain, the persecution– is this what could define us as believers?